Monday 12 November 2012

IRE Homework Task - David Smith - Questions to Students

For this task I will have to choose 6 questions from a list of 44 from David Smith's Questions to Students, written about 1953 and answer each question with 100 words or so.

3. Are you a balanced person with many interests and diversions?

I feel I am a balanced person who enjoys many different things. I feel it's important to have many different interests, because I feel they help you to become a much more interesting person and you'll have much more to say about yourself to people who want to get to know you. I think having many interests and diversions helps you to feel a lot better about yourself as a person. I'd say that my interests include games, films, music, TV and activities I enjoy doing in my spare time include drawing, writing, holidays and going to the gym and I enjoy sports such as swimming, volleyball and ice skating.

10. Do you think art can be something it was before? Can you challenge the ancients?

I feel it's very important for art to be inspired by old and ancient history, in many different forms, such as film, media, music and architecture, because I feel that if we lost touch of ancient history in art the art world would be less diverse and interesting, and also doesn't give us the chance to improve on the mistakes made in the old days. There is a lot we can learn from the old days and a lot we can take inspiration from. However, it is important that if we do make art inspired by the past that we make it feel real and nostalgic and not dated.

11. Have you examined the echoes of childhood and first learning, which may have once given you the solutions? Are any of these expectancies still operating on your choices?

I'll try to answer this question as to the best I can and to try and understand it best. I do feel I have changed a lot since I was a child. However, I do still feel very curious about the world and about my peers and how they think, something I've always been interested in. I feel that the world is a positive place and get very upset with the slightest injustice or lack of logic in people or technology. I love discovering new things and I feel I am adventurous. So I do feel that some traits have stayed with me since my childhood.

17. Do you think your work should hold within tradition?

I feel that creativity is one of the most important qualities a person can have, and I feel that if people kept to tradition, nothing would change and life could be quite boring. However, it is not a bad thing to be inspired by art, or people, and use that to help develop your work or ideas, and if you need to, you can use guidelines, but I feel that it is important to not let the world conform or suppress you as a person, people should have their own ideas and opinions.

35. Are you afraid to work from your own experience without leaning on the crutches of subject and the rational?

I'm not afraid at all to work from my own experience. In fact, I feel that art is a great way to express one's innermost feelings, whether that be what makes them happy, sad, angry etc. as well as using life experiences to help influence art. It also helps the public relate to the artist through art. In fact, I would find it extremely difficult to work on a project if I couldn't express myself or my interests through the project, because I feel I wouldn't enjoy projects as much if I didn't express my feelings through them.

43. Do you ever feel that you don't know where to go in your work, that the challenge is beyond immediate solution?

Sometimes I do feel I need some time to think about what to do in my work before I attempt or continue the work, and sometimes I can get stuck with my work, and I can feel unsure of how to solve the problem straightaway. I feel that it is also important to take frequent breaks in your work not only to relax yourself, but to reflect on your work, how you've found the challenge, and what you can do. I don't like being rushed with my work. I recall a line in the film Toy Story 2 that I can relate to, which says "you can't rush art!"

No comments:

Post a Comment