Saturday 24 November 2012

IRE Homework Task - Analysing Visual Images

In this task I must find six images, 3 of which are chosen by Neil, and the other 3 are of my own choosing, but must be relevant to my course (so for instance, I could choose anything which has 3D computer graphics, such as a film poster or artwork for a video game) and write a 200-400 word analysis for each one, stating what I think of it and how it makes me feel, as well as maybe estimate its purpose.

Ok, before I start writing about the images chosen by Neil, he's attached these images onto a Publisher file. Since I am now working from my Macbook Pro, I cannot open Publisher files! However, I've done a bit of searching around the internet, and found this nifty website that will allow me to convert the Publisher file into a pdf file, which I then should be able to open on my Macbook Pro! The website is pdfonline.com/convert-pdf , which I then just followed the instructions on this website, and it then sends the pdf file to your email address!

Also, I remember in the IRE module that in one week we had to look at and analyse images and  say what we thought was the meaning behind the artwork, and I think that this task will be very similar to that, and we will have to write about similar things to the things we wrote in that lesson about the different artworks, so I will use the notes and handouts I obtained from that lesson as reference, so I know what to write about.

However, I remember finding the task in the lesson that will be similar to this quite difficult, as I felt I didn't quite understand the true meanings behind the images used in the lesson

Ok I best get started. These are the three images from Neil's selection that I am going to write about.



The first image I've chosen from Neil's list of images is an image of some eggs sitting in an egg box  carving out letters that spell the word "future." The artist who made this piece of art, which I think is craft, as he has used everyday items, such as a standard egg box and has carved letters in eggs (I'm not sure that these are actual eggs, they could possibly made from clay) to spell the word "future" in a form of craft. This is probably a form of modern art, as I remember visiting a modern art gallery on my trip to Rome, and in this gallery, they made art out of the most peculiar things, and some of it was also quite basic, and they still decided that these things were some form of "art," so this image reminds me of some things from that gallery.

I think the intentions and meanings of this form of craft is to indicate and represents the beginning of animal life, which starts with an egg, and obviously new life indicates the future of our world, which is why the word "future" is carved using these eggs. 

Or maybe, in the future, the artist might want to eat some eggs, and wanted to express this by using different eggs and an egg box to spell out the word "future," meaning that he will want to eat eggs in the future.

Now I've had that thought, I could put the two ideas I've just had together to add another potential meaning to this image. Chickens lay eggs. People eat eggs. the word "future" carved in these eggs could mean that the future of the chicken's eggs is being stored into egg boxes and consumed by humans, giving the egg box more meaning. Or, of course, all my current theories could be wrong.


The second image I've chosen from Neil's selection of images is an artist's image of a white Nike trainer shoe being splashed in paint. Presumably this has been made in a digital format, such as Photoshop, intelligently using a colour scheme of yellow, blue and deep orange to add colour to the shoe. Or, what would have been more fascinating, is if the artist actually did splash a real plain, white trainer with real  colourful paint, but I'm not sure the same, neat effect would be obtained. It would look very messy, and not nearly as sophisticated as the final image. However, I do especially like how the Nike tick symbol logo has already been coloured before that part of the shoe is splashed in paint.

I think that this looks like a advertisement or sponsor by Nike for the internet browser Firefox, as this image uses similar colours to Firefox logo. I feel that the use of the white shoe represents a blank canvas or something ordinary, and that the artist is trying to get a message across to the audience to feel like they should try something new, change their normal ways, and stand out from the crowd, thus trying this internet browser, Firefox.


the third and final image I'm choosing from Neil's selection of images sees an artist using an existing image to create an alternate message on the same topic or subject in a very clever way. This has been made in a poster format, possibly digital, as I did copy the image from Neil's list of images and it is slightly blurry, which means that the image has used pixels, and has been converted into digital format. The original image in question is the logo for popular worldwide brand Coca Cola, and the artist is sending a controversial, yet truthful message about one of the ingredients in Coca Cola. I am aware that Coca Cola originally featured the drug cocaine as one of its ingredients, and the slogan, which isn't very clear, below the logo states "it's the real thing," which stresses that cocaine was a main ingredient in Coca Cola, so the artist is trying to say that the consumers of Coca Cola are actually drinking cocaine. This also indicates the origins of the brand's name, "coca" being the first 4 letters of cocaine, and "cola" being the actual drink, and cola is what other brands refer to their own version of the drink. Also, the slang abbreviation for both "Coca Cola" and "Cocaine" is known as "Coke," thus the word coke has two separate meanings. The word "enjoy" above the word "cocaine" indicates the drink's popularity amongst its consumers.

Now these are the three images I have chosen that are relevant to my course that I am going to write about.


The first image of my own independent choosing is a promotional film poster advertising the film Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, made before the film was released, using a digital format and rendered images of the characters that have been made in a 3D modelling format. This is to make the audience aware that this film will be in the cinemas soon at the time of publishing the poster.

This is relevant to my studies because part of my course includes 3D animation and creating CGI content for films, such as this 3D animated film, made by Dreamworks.

In the poster, they also have to give hints of the film's plot, it being that the four main characters, Alex, Marty, Gloria and Melman, the animals in the cannon, are still trying to make it back to their home, Central Zoo in New York City. However, to get there, they have to join a circus, hence the circus animals in the background on the right of the poster, the location of the poster, a circus ring, and, of course, the colourful cannon. They are also wearing certain clothes you would expect circus acts to wear, such as Alex the Lion's hat, and the seal in the background's collar.

They also have the slogan at the top of the poster, "They Have One Shot to Get Back Home" which is clever because it describes the main plot of the film, and the word "shot" indicating being shot out of a cannon, which is what we can see the four main characters, the ones trying to get back to their home, inside the cannon, about to be shot out of it, as the penguin furthest away from the front is lighting the fuse of the cannon.

This poster is also appealing to it's younger target audience, with its bright colours and lighting, and the characters that feature on the poster with their comical and cartoony appearances, facial expressions and body language.


http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37870409
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/nov/07/halo-4-review

The second image I've chosen myself to analyse is the front cover box art for the recently released and hotly anticipated game Halo 4 for the Xbox 360, developed by 343 Industries and produced by Microsoft Studios. This image is relevant to my studies because, basically, it's a game, and my field of study includes creating the contents of games. Similar to the Madagascar 3 poster, this image has been made digitally using renders of certain aspects of the game's contents, such as main characters, settings etc. to promote the game and make it look appealing to the target audience.

The image's purpose is to set the mood and setting of the game, showing the genre and structure of the game well, as well as show what the game's all about, all to appeal to a target audience, which is also indicated by the age rating certificate, 16+, in the bottom left hand corner of the poster, something which is required by law to include on any front cover of a game or film cover. Looking at this image, I'd say that the target audience would be mainly young adult males who love sci fi/action stories, and have quite a bit of gaming knowledge and experience, and also because this is an ongoing game in a series, an interest in the Halo series would help too.

Personally, I feel that this is a great, yet subtle example of box art. I especially love the scenery and definitely especially the lighting coming from the top of the image. They also include the mysterious main character, Master Chief, as a key element on the cover, which I feel is essential, because it instantly indicates that the game will mainly be about him, and not use a different character, which makes the game's ideas much more clear, without giving too much away, which is what you want to achieve for a front cover image for a game.


http://screencrush.com/early-movie-concept-art-wreck-it-ralph/

The final image I've chosen to analyse shows a process of concept images for a character design of the main character from Disney's latest movie, Wreck it Ralph. The concept artist has used here a variety of different media, from drawings to digital paintings, to get the final design just right for the character.

This is relevant to my studies because part of design development is to create early concept images and keep on doing so until you have a perfect design that you want to carry further in the design development process.

This process exists to show the design development and experimentation of the artist, and expresses many different ideas used in the designs, but still keeping them in a fairly similar theme. Also, this process gives the artist something to work from to create something much better than the original concept. However, as you can see, the first and last designs are extremely different, the first being more of an ugly looking monster, to the last, a large human character, with huge arms, hands and feet. However, the character designer has tried many different designs to try and reflect Wreck it Ralph's personality, character and purpose, and you can see similar traits in all of the designs, such as destructive and big and bulky but quite lost and searching for identity. Also, similar colours have been used in his early monster designs to his clothes in his human designs, mostly using different shades of red for his design, which perfectly fit certain traits of the character, such as aggression, strength, power and danger.



No comments:

Post a Comment