Wednesday 19 September 2012

RLJ 19/9/2012

Today was the first 3D modelling lesson on the New Media course. As I have had a lot of experience using 3D modelling on the BTEC Interactive Media course, I didn't have to go through the basic tutorials that the other first year students had to do, because they have not used Maya before. I also went through the basic Maya tutorial in the first year of my old course, so I already knew a lot. The second year New Media students had to explain to the other first year students what Maya was and what companies in the working world use Maya for their 3D modelling, which are companies that make 3D animation in films, such as Pixar, Dreamworks, Weta and ILM (Industrial Light and Magic.)

The second years had to show us what they are doing as projects, which all seem to have a marketing element to them, and they all had interesting ideas, I feel. I just wanted some popcorn when they were showing their Powerpoints. However, I didn’t have any, so I had to settle for a packet of yoghurt covered raisins instead. But joking aside, Neil wanted us first years to see what they were doing, because we will have to do something similar to what they're doing this time next year.

My task for today, to get me back into using Maya was to make a 3D model of a typewriter, which I did enjoy making, and it was a good challenge for me. Linda, the woman supporting me today, seemed very interested in what I am doing on my course, and how Maya works. I was surprised at how much I remembered, and managed to very quickly get the basic shape of the typewriter. I was also pleased with the detail of the keys of the typewriter so far too.






No comments:

Post a Comment