Thursday 13 September 2012

RLJ 13/09/12


13/9/12


The work today was quite interesting, yet challenging today. We learned about Matte Paintings and Concept Art which I think I'll find interesting, seeing as I attempted creating concept artwork on my last course without any official training., and learned that scenery in films is often just paintings with lighting manipulating them to give them more depth. I also learned that people can take weeks, or in some cases months, to complete Matte Paintings, and discovered that they exist because it is very difficult to find the perfect scenery in real life, and also, in some cases, you could have to go to extreme lengths to find an ideal scene, such as climb a mountain, so it is physically easier to create a Matte Painting, especially by using Photoshop, because you can take parts of photos that you need and mix them up together.

Our first task after a short insight in how Concept Artwork and Matte Painting is done was to find examples of Matte Paintings on mattepainting.org. I found quite a few examples on there that I found particularly impressive, with a wide variety of matte paintings of different landscapes.

It was difficult to narrow it down but I will post some of my favourite matte paintings from mattepainting.org. I probably find it difficult to narrow things down, as all my family tend to be an indecisive bunch.







After presenting a matte painting I found on mattepainting.org to Neil and the first year New Media students, I then had to create a decayed image in Photoshop of what a cityscape would look like in the future. After looking through some photos of city landscapes I could potentially manipulate, I decided to decay Blackpool in Photoshop. 

Our task today was to create a “decayed or destroyed city” in Photoshop by 3pm, and seeing as we started this task at about 11:30, and with having an hour for lunch and an afternoon break, we only had a couple of hours to do what we could to create this scene. I decided to decay/destroy Blackpool, which was quite fiddly and challenging, and was also quite difficult to find ideal images to use for my task, but I was satisfied with the end result, considering the short amount of time we were given. The other students seemed impressed by what I had done too.

I started by finding different images of Blackpool, then trying to find images of stormy skies and water flooding cities, because one of my ideas for showing a decayed Blackpool was to have a Tsunami flooding most of Blackpool. It was very difficult to find an appropriate picture of a Tsunami to match the angle of the image of Blackpool I wanted to use, so I spent quite a while finding the appropriate background images of both the stormy skies and a Tsunami.


Lots of different images that I wanted to try out with making Blackppol look flooded and wrecked by a Tsunami.

After lunch, I then had to decide how I was going to destroy some of the buildings, such as Blackpool Tower.

Working on what areas I want to edit in Photoshop to make Blackpool look more ruined.


Finished result. Needed to find a newer sky, and have now merged all the image together.




No comments:

Post a Comment